Sunday, December 13, 2009

Accidentally Thinking Back On Music.

In 2010 I will be going back to college. This time I'm going to do journalism in Ballyfermot, it's only a diploma for my first year, after that I can do a degree course certified by DCU, this is the plan. This will happen.

My new band, Overhead, The Albatross will be recording over Christmas in Clique which I'm really looking forward to. I think we'll be recording the tracks live and putting out a 7 inch. I really enjoy playing in this band so far, it's such a nice vibe when we jam unlike anything I've had prolonged experience in before. The lads are fantastic musicians and we all come from the same-ish musical background which is cool.

Actually that's probably worth writing about, by musical background I mean we all went to the same school and were subjected to the same tripe all the mainstream trendy popular kids were lapping up, watered down hip hop and indie drivel. I remember my first year in school I heard three albums that changed everything about music in my life.

They were:



Three albums I still love, back then I used to listen to all sorts of shite. I listen to Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park, the first two System Of A Down albums, Limp Bizkit. You get the idea. I thought that was going against the grain. That's how straight my school was.

I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a baby, I can't remember how long 'Wish You Were Here' has been in my life. I'm working on a new Echoes based tattoo for my leg.

I remember my good friend Stevie bringing Slipknot's first album into school and trying to get me to listen to it. I told him to get it away from me and to burn it. What was I thinking? I'd love to know what else I was into back then, I loved Eminem, of course I did. I loved all my parents music.

I was probably the only kid in the school with Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel albums.

Alice In Chains, Nirvana and Soundgarden all played a big part in my angsty teen years, Pearl Jam too, to a lesser extent.

I never like Maiden or Priest, it took me a while to get into Sabbath but I remember hearing NIB and having my face blown off. Slayer, much to the dismay of many friends, never held a place in my heart, nor did Megadeath.


This is turning into a list. Sweet. Haha I think I might have to admit my love for 90's floor fillers at this point. Dave Pearce was a king. I remember thinking 'Freestyler' by Bomfunk MC was the best song ever, that and 'Sandstorm' by Darude. So many are springing to mind.

I listened to some garbage.

I suppose I owe a lot to Scott and the Red Enemy lads. Scott turned me on to Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. The lads turned me onto modern metal. I remember being shown Chimaira and thinking they were the heaviest band I would ever hear. Oh how that makes me chuckle now. This is because I was (and still am) a huge Chilli Peppers fan. Back then, the 2004/5 wave of metalcore blew my mind purely because I had never heard anything like it. Haha, I tried listening to KSE recently, The End Of Heartache, not happening. Alive Or Just Breathing is still a fucking beast.

Actually come to think of it, not only did I used to arrive to practice with a RHCP shirt on, I'd be listening to Bowie at the time, or OH SWEET SHIT NO, Dream Theater. . . I'm cringing.

I had a friend in the year above me who tried his hardest to get me into bands like Nevermore and death metal that was way above my head at the time. Having said that I went to see Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert and Virgil Donati play their own shows. That is not music for those of you who don't know.

I eventually got into Tool, A Perfect Circle, Deftones and that kind of thing. Crowbar, Down, COC, all these bands didn't arrive into my ears until I was in Two Tales Of Woe when I was about 17. How grateful I am, you will never know.

I used to hate punk, apart from The Offspring. I didn't get the Blink 182 obsession, I used to see these bands on every station, in every magazine and I hated them. I was such an ignorant little fuck and I was completely self righteous and snobby about it too. I would never have even thought of listening to bands like NOFX or Rancid, not in a million years. It took me years to cop on. Some of my friends are still trapped back there, hate that.

Oh shit, how did I forget? One of my favourite albums from back in the day.



I don't know how I eventually got into hardcore, sludge, doom, trip hop, dubstep or anything that I listen to now. Ambient music, electronic music, all of this stuff just dawned on my consciousness one day.

Oh no, I must also mention I was obsessesd with 'O' by Damien Rice for a long time too. I owned Will Smith's Willenium and that's not the most embarrassing item in my collection. I don't think I'm quite ready to unveil what that particular item was. I think I may have said it to one or two people.

Ah fuck it. Ladies and Gentlemen, I was the not so proud owner of:


Hahaha oh yes. I also had the single for 'Blue' by Eiffel 65. I don't know why at this point Ricki Lee Jones and R.E.M. are flashing up in the front of my mind.

I'm not even going to read back over this. I'm sure it's full of too many treats.

I think at this point in time my favourite albums of 2009 are:











So how that happened I don't know. It's late again. Come hang out before the year is done with.

No comments:

Post a Comment