Thursday, April 29, 2010

For Your Appreciation, If Not Enjoyment...Roger

Ok, I'm pretty sure I dedicated a post to dubstep before here goes. I was going to make a playlist but my internet is too slow and I'm impatient.

I was going to write a brief history and 101 on the subject but a load of videos will have to do. Just check out Mary Anne Hobbes, she's done more for experimental and leftfield electronic music than probably any DJ.

First and foremost, and I must admit, an acquired taste for me is Burial. His self titled is one of the best electronic albums I've heard and he certainly paved the way for many if not all dubstep after 2006.


Another name that's eponymous with dubstep is Skream. This lad is well capable of dropping heavy bass lines but also has a lot of lightheartedness in his music, sometimes this comes across as a little obnoxious but trust me, Skream is far more worthy a listen than many others of his ilk. Unlike Burial, this is a more dancehall take of the genre, I love partying to this stuff.


Kode9 was one of the best DJ sets I've seen in a long time, this is intelligent music. Surely intelligent dubstep is an oxymoron you protest. Steve Goodman aka Kode9 has a book called Sonic Warfare. Read about it, I can't wait to get my hands on it.


I have to drop this song in again, I have been obsessed with this song by Limerick producer The Optimist for well over a year, maybe even 2 now. I can't stress enough the need to listen to this music with a sub or good headphones.



Any old school Sega gamers should get a little tingly sensation when they hear the sample after the intro. I love Reso.


I think one or two may be in order. I came across an album called Cyclical by Ital Tek. This is more in step with the Burial approach, I enjoy this album immensely.



The last song I'm going to post is by another pioneer in a different way. This is Benga, and Benga is good. This is an N-Type remix from Dubstep Allstars Vol. 5



There is so much I've left out but I wanted to give you a taste of older and newer, more underground and more mainstream. There's so much that falls under the dubstep umbrella, it'd be a shame not to try some of it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment